Sunday, September 25, 2016

Inside the R4 3DS cart

Recently picked up a Nintendo DS Lite from eBay - wanting to play some Powder http://www.zincland.com/powder/ (all time favourite game - and most time played on both the gameboy advance, and PSP) I had to of course get a flash cart.

Actually buying one of these is a real pain - Aliexpress, eBay, etc don't list them.  
From what I read apparently PayPal does not allow the sale of what they consider 'modchips'. Thus finding a reputable site is a bit of work and many recommendations from forums lead to broken links.  (I guess stores have a hard time staying up?) I was shocked that nothing had changed from the 2000s when I last went looking for a flashcard for my gameboy micro.

Anyways.... 

I was of course curious to what the PCB looked like. Sadly it looks like the brains is a 'Chip On Board' (COB) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_packaging#Glop-top


Apparently you can use the wifi to load files to the SD Card. Considering the DS Lite only supports WEP and the software is some sketchy windows only thing it's unlikely i'll ever try it out.


"Truth Inquiry" Uh okay. 


I believe the top left chip is KH25L1606EM2C-12G - a spi-flash chip.
The bottom right chip is 95010WP - which is a ST micro SPI eeprom http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/memories/serial-eeprom/standard-serial-eeprom/m95010-w.html

As I don't have a magnifying glass at the moment reading the text was a bit difficult. 


Bottom of the board. 






Video of the very ghetto UI. 



No comments:

Post a Comment